You read it a lot here — we love Japanese food which is why Nami’s blog is truly one of my favorites. 🙂 During the first year of our relationship (as boyfriend and girlfriend), we ate at Teriyaki Boy quite often and we would order Chicken Teriyaki.
I followed this recipe to make this dish, she has step-by-step photos too! I used the same amount of ingredients and the only thing I would change is to remove excess oil when I flip over the chicken. 😀
Here are the ingredients:
First, I ensured that the chicken was clean and dry. I used two chicken fillets (with skin) and sprinkled salt and pepper on both sides.
Heated 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan on high heat. When the oil is hot enough, I fried the chicken skin side down.
When the skin has browned, I flipped the chicken over (but on my first attempt did not remove the excess oil, however on my second attempt, I did remove it!) and remove excess oil. Lower the heat to medium and pour 3 tablespoons of sake and cover the pan.
When the liquid is almost gone I continued to cook the chicken then removed the cover and wiped of any excess oil or any brown stuff in the pan.
I then added the teriyaki sauce and used the spoon to pour the sauce over the chicken.
Finally, when the sauce thickened, I added the 1 tbsp butter. I poured more sauce over the chicken and then served it over rice that was sprinkled with nanami togarashi.
My husband had a smile on his face the whole time he was devouring this. Thanks again Nami for this yummy chicken recipe! 🙂
(Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minutes)
- 2 chicken fillets
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp sake
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to season chicken
- 2 ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sake
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Heat oil in a pan on high heat.
- When oil is hot, fry chicken fillets skin side down.
- When skin is brown and crispy, flip over chicken and remove excess oil.
- Lower heat to medium and add sake and cover pan.
- When liquid is almost gone, remove cover and continue to cook chicken then wiped of any excess oil or any brown stuff in the pan.
- Pour teriyaki sauce and pour sauce over chicken.
- When sauce has thickened, add butter. Pour more sauce over the chicken.
- Finally, serve over steamed white rice (or rice topped with nanami togarashi).
Makes 2 servings