When my husband and I feel we’ve been having too many meaty dishes, this is one of the things we cook to somehow feel a lot better because it’s got vegetables — BUT it is fried! Haha! 🙂
This is also a very affordable as you will only need onion, garlic, magic sarap, pepper, wrapper, some minced pork, cabbage, carrots and sweet potato (and you can add bean sprouts too!).
First, I chopped and minced everything that needed to be chopped and minced. We like the veggies to be cut thinly, onion and garlic to be as small as possible.
Next, I heated oil in a pan, started sautéing the onion then garlic.
Once those were done, I put in the minced pork to brown them.
Then sautéed the vegetables. Look at those beautiful colors!
I seasoned with pepper and 1 pack of magic sarap (you can add less or use other seasonings) but I know in the Philippines, a lot would cook with either magic sarap or chicken cubes.
Once the vegetables were cooked, I drained and ensured that the liquid will drip. I do this because the wrapper gets damp and breaks easily. I would also wrap just before I fry it.
When there’s almost no liquid anymore (can’t really get it all)…I start wrapping each one right before putting it into the oil.
Fry until wrapper is crispy and brown, you don’t have to fry it for a long time because the filling has already been cooked.
After frying, let the oil drip by placing it into a strainer.
Serve with native vinegar with garlic and salt. (You can use distilled vinegar too! but we like Datu Puti or Pinakurat)
Lumpiang Gulay (Vegetable Spring Rolls)
(Prep Time: 10 + 5 + 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minutes)
- 150g Minced pork (optional)
- 1 shallot/small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Half a small cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 sweet potato, sliced thinly
- 1 pack, magic sarap (or you can season with salt)
- Pepper to taste
- Lumpia wrapper
- Oil for sautéing and frying
- Slice all vegetables thinly.
- Mince garlic and onion.
- Heat oil in a pan, sauté onion until translucent.
- Sauté garlic with the onion.
- Add minced meat (optional).
- Sauté sweet potato for about 4 minutes, then the carrots for 1 minute then the cabbage.
- Season with pepper and 1 pack of magic sarap, continue to sauté until cabbage has wilted.
- Drain all liquid by putting into a strainer. Wait for at least 15 minutes.
- While waiting, separate each wrapper and heat oil for frying.
- Wrap a spoonful of the vegetable mixture tightly then slide into the oil.
- Brown the wrapper then place into a strainer for the oil to drip.
- Serve with garlic, salt and vinegar.
Makes 6 spring rolls