I know it’s Black Saturday today…but I wanted to give you guys an idea on what to cook tomorrow! 🙂 Happy Easter! 🙂
I have loved Pioneer Woman’s blog since 2008 or 2009 orrr….2010? Haha!:) While I was looking for something good and tasty (not near to being very healthy) to cook for my husband before I leave for the Philippines to attend a wedding last week, we finalized our menu to include Pioneer Woman’s Mushroom-and-Swiss Sliders and Onion Strings.
Okay, I couldn’t find Swiss cheese so I used cheddar slices instead. Also, I forgot that the onion needs to be swimming in buttermilk for an hour before cooking so we just had the sliders first and had the onion strings after.
There’s a lot of ingredients for the sliders alone but don’t worry, it’s really easy! 🙂
I started with the spicy fry sauce, yum! Tastes like Burger Machine haha! 🙂 I combined mayonnaise, ketchup and cayenne pepper in a bowl and then stirred it. See? That’s done!
Next, I handled the mushroom that will be placed on top of the sliders. I minced half an onion and 5 brown mushrooms (about 2 inches in diameter) finely.
I got my pan and melted 4 Tbsp of butter and put in the onions to cook for about 5 minutes over low heat. I’d stirred them when they looked a bit dry.
While the onions were cooking, I had enough time to prepare the patties. I got a bowl, put in the meat, 4 Tbsp of cream, 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp of salt and ground pepper. I actually made sure to put the cream, Worcestershire, salt and pepper on different parts of the meat so I could take a picture of it but then I started mixing with a spoon and the beautiful presentation was gone! 😦 Anyway, I still have a picture that shows the meat before everything was mixed together.
Amazingly, the binding agent was the cream! Here’s how it looks after it had been mixed.
It’s been 10 minutes and I have to put the mushroom in the pan now.
I poured in 1/2 cup of red wine, 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. I mixed them all together with the butter and onion.
I let it simmer until the liquid is gone, it took about 22 minutes over medium low heat. I was not in a rush! Haha!
After that’s done, I set it aside and heated about 1 Tbsp butter in the pan. I got a slider press a few weeks ago and this is the best time to use it! 🙂 It worked so well, all the patties have the same size. 🙂
I started to fry 4 sliders at a time.
After about 4 minutes, I flipped it and started to top it with the mushroom and onion mixture. It’s not very easy haha..I guess Pioneer Woman’s ice cream scoop was very handy!
After topping all of them with mushroom mixture, I topped them with cheddar slices and covered the pan until the patties were cooked which took about another 3-4 minutes. Look at the melted cheese!
I toasted the bread and slathered spicy fry sauce on them and then placed the patties and mushroom which are now wrapped with cheese, hahaha!
It was really good, the spiciness was just right (for me!) and I have absolutely made my husband a happier man!
Mushroom-and-Cheddar Sliders with Spicy Fry Sauce
(Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 50 minutes)
Adapted from Pioneer Woman
Spicy Fry Sauce:
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup (I used Heinz)
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
Mushroom and Onion mixture:
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Onion, minced finely
- 5 pcs brown mushroom (2 inches in diameter), minced finely
- 1/2 cup Red Wine (optional)
- 4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kilo minced beef
- 4 Tbsp cream
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
8 slices of cheddar
8 dinner rolls/buns, split in half
- Combine all ingredients of the spicy fry sauce and set aside.
- Mince onion and brown mushroom.
- Heat butter in pan and cook onions for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Put in mushroom, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and cook until all liquid has evaporated. That took me about 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the patties.
- Make 8 patties from the beef mixture.
- Start to fry 4 patties at a time over medium heat. Takes about 4 minutes.
- Flip patties, top with mushroom and onion mixture then cheddar cheese. Cover pan and let it cook for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Toast buns while patties with cheese are cooking. Slather with spicy fry sauce.
- Place patties into the buns and serve immediately.
Makes 8 sliders.