Whenever I ask my husband the question “Which pasta is your most favorite?”, he would answer “Party Meatball Pasta”. My Bolognese is second on the list but really, no pasta could taste so bad for my husband. He LOVES pasta, noodles and pizza.
I first made this in 2008, watched Quickfire and saw Chef Rosebud making this in 10 minutes. I do not know how she does it but I never got to do it in 10 minutes!
Are you ready to know what makes this meatball stand out? It’s the oozing cheese once you cut into the meatball! Yummmmmm!
This is very very easy to make! For the meatballs, mix minced beef, egg(s), cornstarch (or you could use breadcrumbs too!), salt and pepper in a bowl. You can use just 1 egg, I used 2.
Cut your cheese to cubes about half-inch per side. Wrap the cheese with about 1tbsp of meat and roll into a ball.
Next, brown the meatballs in a pan with oil. 🙂 I would cook it for about 1 minute in total, rolling it to brown the other parts. Set aside. Don’t worry, they will be added to the sauce so they could continue cooking.
In the Philippines, I would use Del Monte’s spaghetti sauce (Italian style) but I decided to make my own sauce here. 🙂 I sautéed the minced onion and garlic in oil then added 2 cans of tomato sauce.
Next, I added oregano, salt, pepper and sugar then let it simmer for at least 20 minutes.
Start boiling water for your pasta then place your pasta in the boiling water before you put the meatballs in the sauce. That way, your noodles will be ready when the sauce is done. 🙂 I use long pasta because it’s so much fun eating it than short pasta!
After that, add meatballs (and juices) back into the pan and let it simmer for at least 5 minutes.
Add 3Tbsp of grated cheese…or more if you’re into super cheesy pasta sauces.
Turn off the heat and mix pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and cut into the balls and find the oozing cheese!:)
Party Meatball Pasta
Inspired by Quickfire’s Chef Rosebud
(Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: at least 25 minutes)
- 500g long pasta
- 600g minced beef
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch or breadcrumbs
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Half eden cheese or about 4Tbsp cheddar cheese
- 2 15oz can 425g tomato sauce
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove
- 1 dried bay leaf (Optional; I took this out after 5 mins, afraid it will taste like Menudo!)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp cheese
- Mix all ingredients for meatballs except cheese.
- Scoop 1Tbsp of meat mixture and flatten on palm.
- Top with cube of cheese and roll to a ball, making sure cheese is covered completely.
- Repeat until all have been rolled into meatballs.
- Sauté garlic and onion in a pan with oil.
- Dump contents of canned tomato sauce into pan, bring to a boil.
- Season with dried oregano, sugar, salt and pepper and let it simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add meatballs and its juices to the sauce, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3Tbsp grated cheese.
- Check if it needs more salt/pepper/sugar.
- Turn off heat and mix pasta and sauce.
Makes 30-35 meatballs (I was able to make 34)
Makes 7-8 servings