Can you believe it? Butter Love Affair turns ONE! Happy blogiversary! 🙂
I started food blogging in 2010 but wasn’t able to maintain it. Photos of that blog were taken with an iPhone3GS so you really can’t expect it to be any good. Also, it was taken at night because I am on night shift and would cook only when I wake up [to get ready for work]. I also stopped blogging for a while because I moved to Hong Kong and I don’t cook much at my mom’s house. After living in the Philippines for 10 years without my mom, I have missed her cooking!
When my husband moved to Hong Kong last year (2012), we thought about buying a dSLR and when we did, I started blogging again. Yay! 🙂
I promised myself that I won’t blog for the sake of blogging — when I’m tired from work and the commute (1hr to 1.5 hrs, one way!), I don’t force myself to blog. I do not know how you guys do it, but when I take photos of the step by step procedure, it adds about 30 minutes to 1 hour of preparation time because everything has to be more organized! 😛 Sometimes, I think about just taking a picture of the end-product but I know (because I have received feedback) that these step by step photos do help out my readers. That’s also why I love Pioneer Woman and Nami’s Just One Cookbook, they have step by step photos.
So, what’s my goal for the next [blogging] year?
- More Filipino recipes
- More blog posts! 😀
- Better photos
- Be able to submit recipes and photos to foodgawker (Ambitious!)
So, what did I do to celebrate the blogiversary? I cooked with one of my biggest fans! My sweetheart, my niece! Every time I see her, she asks me “Tita, do you have any new posts on Butter Love Affair?” Haha! Too cute! She asked her mom if she could learn how to cook and I am so happy to spend two days and two nights with her – the last time I was able to do that was about 2 years ago. She is crazy about Japanese food – loves sushi and my okonomiyaki and yakiniku. 😀 She loves to write and draw, she is a blogger too! Read about her on The Middle Schooler and her class’ newspaper: Cat and Donut!
Here are some of our pictures from the “cooking camp”, I told her that one of the objectives of this weekend session is for her to cook at least one of these for her parents next weekend. I’m so excited for her! We made Ben & Jerry’s giant chocolate chip cookies, french toast and okonomiyaki! She couldn’t believe how good the cookie dough smelled and tasted!
I remember the first time she tasted these chocolate chip cookies, our family got together for “Japanese Sunday”! She loved these cookies so much but they had to head home because it was getting late and the next batch was still in the oven, when she got into the elevator, the oven went “TING!” and she begged me to get her some haha…but then the elevator closed already so she had to wait 3 months to taste them again! 😛
Ben & Jerry’s Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: less than 15 minutes)
Recipe from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temp
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (We used Hershey’s)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 175C (350F).
- Beat the butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy (It will seem impossible at first, keep on beating!)
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop the dough by small scoops 2 to 3 inches apart on a cooking paper (non-stick).
- Flatten each scoop with the back of your ice cream scooper to about 3 inches in diameter.
- Bake until the centers are still slightly soft to the touch (about 11 to 14 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool on the cooking paper.
- Serve with a glass of milk! 🙂
Makes about 15 cookies
*We had a video but it won’t upload on both Instragram and wordpress! 😦